10/13/2010

Mining for Uranium

According to the World Nuclear Association, the largest national share of nuclear reserve was Australia (1,243,000 tones, 23%), followed by Kazakhstan (817,000 t, 15%), Russia (546,000 t, 10%), South Africa (435,000 t, 8%), Canada (423,000 t, 8%), USA (342,000 t, 6%), Brazil (278,000 t, 5%), Namibia (275,000 t, 5%), Niger (274,000 t, 5%), Ukraine (200,000 t, 4%) and Jordan (112,000 t, 2%).

With current technology, there are three main techniques in use for uranium mining. These are open pit mining, underground mining, and in situ leach mining. In open pit mining, the land above the material is blasted and dug away to reveal the ore body. After they have found the fuel deposit, it will be blasted, excavated and removed with dump trucks. Underground mining is carried with access tunnels, and drilling and blasting. In situ leach mining involves drilling boreholes down into an ore body, pumping a leaching fluid into the ore and then pumping the resulting solution to the surface to extract the uranium. The leaching fluid is sometimes a combination of acids or sometimes alkaline solution. The type of the solution used depends on the type of the ore body.  

 Ranger Uranium Mining Plant in Kakadu, Australia



4 comments:

  1. hmm, actually the nuclear power plant use uranium or xenon?

    muhammad fikri bin baharudin
    fiq.bahar@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. the reactor uses uranium as fuel..but during the reaction uranium will decay to become xenon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm  here to share my testimony of what a good trusted loan company did for me. My name is Nikita Tanya, from Russian and I’m a lovely mother of 3 kids I lost my funds on trying to get a loan it was so hard for me and my children, I went online to seek for a loan assistance  all hope was lost until one faithful day when I met this friend of mine who recently secured a loan from a very honest man Mr, Benjamin. She introduced me to this honest loan officer Mr, Benjamin  who helped me get a loan in within 5 working days, I will forever be grateful to Mr Benjamin, for helping me get back on feet again. You can contact Mr Benjamin via email: lfdsloans@outlook.com  they do not know I’m doing this for them, but i just have to do it because a lot of people are out there who are in need of a loan assistance  please come to this honest man  and  you can be save as well .WhatsApp:(+1 989-394-3740)

    ReplyDelete